Re: DVD choppy

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 30/01/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tim:
>> If it mounts, even if not working well, you could see what's mounted
>> where by typing "mount" into the command line.

Dotan Cohen:
> Yes! /media/scd0

Though, the /dev/whatever part beside the /media/whatever is the
information you want to play with.

Yes, I figured as much.

>> What about the hardware browser?

> I can't seem to find it. It's certainly not in my Kmenu, and going
> through all that "locate browser" returned didn't lead me to it.
> What's the command to launch it?

Just "hwbrowser", it's probably not installed by default.  There's a HAL
browser, as well, that provides even more information.

Yummed it in. Turns out that the drive is a TS-L632D. Googling it
leads me to believe that the drive is IDE, so the solutions provided
here do not apply. But why is it mounted as /dev/s*** if it's IDE? I
thought that was reserved for SATA devices.

How does one enable DMA on an IDE drive, assuming that he knows it's
mounted on /dev/scd0?

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/471/taylor_james.html
http://essentialinux.com/basics.php

I had an issue similar to this on my Toshiba Laptop. I ordered it under the impression that the drives were all IDE as SATA support was not that great at the time. Both my HD and DVD drives came up as SATA devices even though the information stated both were IDE from the web.

Now the issue was traced to the BIOS but there were no changes allowed in the BIOS for this. I had to set a kernel flag (cannot remember and the laptop is not here) for the pata support to work properly.

I traced it through the ICH6 {?} controller information.

Sorry I cannot provide a deeper answer.

Look at ata_piix

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux

--