Re: xmms fc6 [some commentaries added]

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 00:22 +0100, François Patte wrote:
>
>>Bonjour,
>>
>>I wonder how to have xmms working under fc6: it is unable to play any cd
>>because (I think) it requires a device (no problem: /dev/cdrom ...)
>>*and* a directory, /media/cdrom in later version of fedora.
>>
>>There is no more /media/cdrom... and :media is empty, even if I load a
>>cd/dvd/usb-key....
>>
>>Where is the config for external media?
>

> It's part of the automounter.  When the automounter sees removable
> media, it creates a mountpoint under /media based on (a) the filesystem
> label, (b) a vendor ID from the USB ID, or (c) a generic thing such as
> "cdrom".
>
> As far as associating what happens...that's covered by your desktop
> preferences.
>
> Gnome:
> Go to "System->Preferences->Removable Drives and Media", then click on
> the "Multimedia" tab.  You can specify what happens when various things
> are inserted.  By default, audio CDs would be played by gnome-cd.  If
> you want xmms, then change the command appropriately.

This is exactly what I don't want to do.... If I understand what you
say: you *must* have your cd/dvd played when you insert them, you are
*no more free" to delay this (of course you can wait until your cd (or
dvd) player comes up the stop it).

You *must* see what is inside your usb-key as soon as you insert it...
and so on.

I come (as many other people) from the unix world and work in
command-line and I am very irritated about this evolution of linux
distros. Don't misunderstand what I am saying: there are a lot of people
who work only with graphic and it is a good thing that these kind of
graphic tools be developed under linux *but* it is more and more
difficult to configurate one's machine when you don't want this, you
don't even know where graphic tools write the configurations and if you
don't want something, you have to waste a lot of time to correct
something these tools have wrongly written.

The pleasure of linux (regarding M$ OS) was to be free to do want you
wanted, this is (slowly) desappearing and the next step is going on:
config files will binary files and the game will be over!

Even the "terminal", the main tool for unix has moved to "accessories"
menu (I spent some times to find it, because I could not believe it!!!)

Cheers.

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique