Re: The Case of the Missing Characters

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 19:39 -0700, kuiskers wrote:
> I've decided to use my favourite email program, kmail, which I use always. I
> only use those online email sites for chatting on forums and lists, as I am
> wary about contaminating my provider account with spam. I had to create an
> email alias with my provider - yes, another identity! alas! - but at least I
> don't have to go to a web site to write, which is easier.

You're using Linux, you can use your own machine to handle all the
different accounts.  You can use fetchmail to pull in mail from several
addresses, and drop it all into you local mailbox.  You can subscribe to
things using some webmail service, but you don't have to use it for your
replies.  You can just enter the address details for it into your mail
client.

> I've noticed that when I hit reply with kmail, a field opens below the quoted
> text, while reply in hotmail (and gmail, I think) opens the reply field above
> the quoted text. I have never given much thought to top- or bottom-posting,
> but simply type my reply into the space provided by the programmers of the
> software.

You don't have to type where the cursor lands.  When I write a reply,
the first thing I do is usually to start removing things that don't need
quoting.  So cursor positioning is generally unimportant.

The norm on this list is "interspersed" replies (you write directly
below what you're responding, throughout the e-mail, as I'm dong).
Bottom-posting, as Cameron called it, is something different again.
Quoting everything in one lump, then replying below the lot of it.
Which is just about as bad as top posting.  Particularly if you quote
everything, even if you didn't need to do so.

Tim:
>> I can understand that, but you've picked the spawn of the devil to work
>> with. I'm sure if you say what you want from a service (webmail or not,
>> IMAP, POP3, masses of storage, your own domain name, etc.), you'll get
>> some suggestions of what to try.

> Google's not imap, is it?

Correct, Google does not use IMAP (being careful not to write a
confusing double negative answer).  Google gives you webmail, and also
POP3.

> The nice thing about using my provider's email is that I just click 'check
> mail in' and all of the mail comes, and they have web access, too.
> Unfortunately, it is pop and not imap.

If you want IMAP, there's <http://www.fastmail.fm/>, which gives you a
simple/small free IMAP service, or extended features if you pay
(differing amounts, it depends on what you want out of them).  They seem
fairly good (I've been using them for the last few years), and they can
also extract your mail from Hotmail to that account.

If you don't mind paying, you can register your own domain name, find a
modestly priced mail host, and handle your mail however you like (create
addresses as you desire, use the one address for everything, or whatever
you want to do).