Re: Ack! I've been rooted...

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 17:58 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:

> And of course the moral of all of this is UPDATE and DON'T RUN
> UNNEEDED WEB SERVICES.  This happened on a FC2 server (I know ;) ),
> and possibly via the SWAT or phpMyAdmin web interfaces.

Make two logical volumes big enough for your root filesystem.
This allows you to install new releases when they come out, and
temporarily boot into them for configuration testing etc. during
maintenance time - rebooting back to the stable OS as needed.

Basically it allows upgrading the OS without being committed to the
upgrade until such time as you know the new version of Fedora (or
whatever) is properly configured for the services you provide.