Re: Ubuntu founder doesn't "get" enterprise Linux <OT>

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 15:18 -0300, Martin Marques wrote:
> Les Mikesell escribió:
> > Ric Moore wrote:
> >
> > You can't get a copy unless you buy a support contract and agree to only
> > install it on the covered machine, even though all of the GPL'd content
> > includes a clause that says additional restrictions can't be appled to
> > redistribution.
>
> I haven't read the RHEL license, but if it's like you say, it's in
> violation of the GPL.
>
> I would really be surprised if RH did something so stupid.

I tend to agree with you Martin, as RH's lawyers have undoubtedly been
all over the GPL with a fine tooth comb. Maybe the word used was
RedHat's "offering' of a set of CD's and a built-in price for support,
while the SRPMS are freely available for redistribution, then they have
satisfied the intent of the GPL. Then you just pick it up or lay it
down. Plus, the fact that FC is married in a sense to RedHat and thereby
an extension of it, that to say that RedHat is a closed binary is not
-entirely- accurate. Maybe some, at some point between 0% and 100%, but
not entirely.

So to that effect if Marks statement was 100% correct, then CentoOS
would not and could not exist. Yet, on the other hand, CentOS does exist
which negates the statement that RH would be *-completely-* closed,
instead of 'to-a-degree' closed. Kinda like being a little-bit pregnant,
but I think you see my point, even if you do not agree with it, ole
friend Les. It is open enough to satisfy the GPL and probably not one
erg of energy more.

Also, RedHat has poured more money into devel than just about any other
distro, so you at least tip your hat to who brung ya to the dance
instead of bitch-slapping at them. It's considered poor form in "Polite
Society".

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net