Re: webcam support/hardware compatibility list

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 12:35 -0800, David L wrote:
> I'd like to buy a webcam that has good support in fedora,
> preferably without any kernel patches/proprietary drivers.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Here are the web cams on my local Office Max shelf (or at
> least are on their web site):
>
> 	Creative WebCam Live! Pro (VF0080)
> 	Creative Labs Live CAM Notebook Pro Webcam (VF0250)
> 	Creative Labs VF0070 Live! Ultra WebCam for Notebooks
> 	Creative WebCam Live! Ultra (VF0060)
> 	Logitech 961399 Labtec Webcam Plus
> 	LOGITECH 961422-0403 QuickCam Orbit MP Webcam
> 	Creative Labs Web Camera VF0180EF Live!
> 	Logitech QuickCam Chat
> 	Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000
> 	Logitech 961403-0403 QuickCam Fusion
> 	Logitech Quickcam Communicate STX
> 	Logitech Deluxe Quickcam for Notebooks
> 	Logitech QuickCam Chat for Skype (961556)
>
> Which of these, if any, will "just work"?
>
> I've looked at:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HCL
> and
> http://www.linux.com/howtos/Webcam-HOWTO/hardware.shtm

I had the experience of buying a webcam, a Logitech QuickCam Express,
from Walmart, that I thought was supported, only to learn Logitech had
changed the chip set, but kept the name QuickCam Express.

I learned, it was important to find out the VendorID/ProductID.

Unfortunately, the VendorID/ProductID is not listed on the package.

The person at http://mxhaard.free.fr/ was very helpful in getting the
webcam to sort of work.  Unfortunately, my knowledge of webcams and
color was so limited I could only help him to a point, and he had to
wait for more knowledgeable people to get this webcam to get the colors
even close to being correct.

Companies release products, under the same name, using different chip
sets.  Each chip set may need a certain amount of driver tweaking or may
need a completely new driver.

I realize my comment does not help answer the original question.
I relate this experience as a cautionary note of what might happen.