Re: OT: Python, Zope and Pone (RHEL v4)

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 09:40 -0700, Jamie Bohr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My department has chosen Plone as a CMS tool.  We already have a RHEL
> V4 server we would like to host this on.  RHEL V4 comes with Python
> 2.3.4, Plone requires Zope which requires Python 2.4.3.  I could not
> find an RPM package for it, so before I compile and install it I was
> going to remove Python 2.3.4; there are tons of dependences I would
> rather not remove.  I don't want to mess up this system because it is
> a production server (used very little) and looking for guidance on how
> to proceed.  Should I install yum and point it to some Fedora sources
> for Python, Zope and Plone?  Is there a source out there for newer
> Python, Zope and Plone that I did not find (I googled for them)?
>
> I would like to install all the packages by RPM, makes it easier to
> track what is installed on a system.

Do not replace the system Python with a newer one.
You probably could install a newer python and its entire tree in another
location on the filesystem (maybe /usr/local or /opt ??) but leave the
system python intact or you will likely end up crying very bitter tears.

I do not know of an rpm packaging for python that puts it in another
location but they probably could be built w/o too much trouble by just
redefining a few rpm macros before building them - and possibly change
the name of the package in spec file to make things easier on you.