Re: Bash globbing files only?

On 29Jan2007 10:18, Daniel Qarras <dqarras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Yes, I am painfully aware of the power of zsh :)

Please, come to the Dark Side with us!

| But in this case I
| need to do my script with bash and it seems that although globbing for
| directories is trivial ( */ ) there is no similar pattern to match
| files. Oh, well, I guess I'll need to waste some CPU cycles and launch
| find everytime I need to know file names in the current directory.

Gah! No!

  files=
  for f in *
  do [ -f "$f" ] && files="$files $f"
  done
  ... do stuff with $files ...

If you've got to deal with filenames with whitespace in them you need to
be trickier.

BTW, the above works in plain Bourne shell - no zsh or bash extensions
needed.
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Q: What's the difference between a psychotic and a neurotic?
A: A psychotic doesn't believe that 2 + 2 = 4.  A neurotic knows it's true,
   but it bothers him.