Re: There has gotta be an easy answer - binding commands to keys ??

Around about 26/01/07 21:39, William Case typed ...
1) Through MetaCity or any other GTK mechanism, create a command that is
equivalent to <Ctrl><Shift>U2714 and then bind that command to Super_L +
y.

You may want to investigate xmodmap; I'm not sure there's a way to specify any old unicode char (I think I've seen one) but if you create a ~/.xmodmaprc with something like (this is from mine, defining <AltGr+'> to give the nicer ’ char):

keycode 0x30 = apostrophe at rightsinglequotemark dead_circumflex rightsinglequotemark dead_circumflex

All the keys by default have an AltGr ('ISO Shift Level 3') mapping, Y's is '←' (¥ with <Shift> as well). Pick one you don't fancy using any more, and change its mapping. The full list of codes currently on a key can be shown with xkeycaps (which is really showing its age now; any alternatives anyone?) but I wouldn't recommend making it save a full xmodmaprc (unless you then edit out all but the one you want).

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature