Re: Wireless ipw2200 in FC6

On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 11:27 -0600, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 09:55 -0500, Lane Brooks wrote:
> > I have FC5 and FC6 installed on my laptop.  It has an Intel 2915AB
> > wireless card.  I am completely up-to-date on both FC5 and FC6.  The
> > wireless works great on FC5.  In FC6, however, it has problems.  Most of
> > the time it does not see all of the networks.  If I restart the ipw2200
> > driver with a rmmod/modprobe, sometimes that helps and it will find all
> > the SSIDs.  When I do get it to connect to the network I want, it is
> > extremely flakey, drops the connection all the time, and has very poor
> > bandwidth.  Once again, this is not the case with FC5.  FC5 works great.
> >     I use Network Manager to manage my wireless connections on both FC5
> > and FC6.
> >
> > Are there any known significant differences between FC6 and FC5 in this
> > regard?  Any insight as to whether this is due to differences in the
> > kernel, wireless tools, firmware, Network Manager, etc. would be useful.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Lane Brooks
> >
> Lane,
>
> I have an hp labtop with ipw2200 running FC5 and have never been able to
> get the wireless to work.  I would be interesting in knowing how you
> were able to turn on ipw2200 for FC5
>
> Greg
Install ipw2200-firmware rpm
Stop network from running and run NewworkManager and
NetworkManagerDispatcher using chkconfig. All at boot.

A program called nm-applet will run automatically when you log in and
place its icon in the upper right side of the upper panel.
Click on that icon and choose your wireless connection form the list.
At that point you will be able to enter a WEP key if you want to and add
a security passwd for accessing the access point.

If you have problems with this ask.

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>