Re: networking q?

On Friday 26 January 2007 18:53, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> When watching the messages log, I see DHCPDISCOVER requests sent to
>> 255.255.255.255 on a network restart, and they fail after SoftMac says
>> its Associated, I assume with the wap11 access point sitting about 20"
>> away since the MAC addresses of the wap11 are correctly displayed in
>> the messages log.  Is this DHCPDISCOVER doing it correctly?
>
>I am not entirely sure what do you mean with "SoftMac says its
> Associated",

That's the gist of a line in the log.

Jan 26 12:14:43 diablo kernel: SoftMAC: associated!

> but sending DHCPDISCOVER to 255.255.255.255 is a normal
> way to request a dynamic IP address. IF you provide an excerpt from the
> logs I may be able to shed some light on the rest of it.

I figured it out that its ok.  I was thinking (erroniously it appears)that
it should be sending that to 192.168.1.255, eg the top, broadcast address
in that block.

The connection dialog is getting more automatic all the time.  The last
powerup, it did everything but change the key mode to a 40/104 hex key,
and maybe event that is now automatic but I didn't try the default
displayed settings first to find out.  But it did display the correct key
without my having to cat the keyfile and then paste it into the
knetworkmanagers key entry line.  That's a big improvement right there!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)