Re: FC6 not shutting down -SOLVED

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 18:52, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I have been complaining for months that FC6 would not shutdown my
> > machine and cut off the power. I decided I had to solve this problem.
> > In the end it turned out to me very simple.
> > First to make sure the BIOS had ACPI enabled.
> > Then in checking the boot messages I noticed the acpi was being turned
> > off and the message said to use lacpi on the kernel boot line. When I
> > did the machine could shut off.
>
> lapic, perhaps?
>
> > So why did I not find this earlier. Well it is my fault but I still
> > don't know why FC6 shut off acpi in the first place. Any ideas out
> > there?
>
> Possibly your BIOS's ACPI implementation is blacklisted.
>
> Some motherboard manufacturers consider that a motherboard that boots
> Windows is "debugged" and any variation with published ACPI specs merely
> means that those specifications are inaccurate.
>
> Problematic systems include:
>         /* Compaq Presario 1700 */
>         /* Sony FX120, FX140, FX150? */
>         /* Compaq Presario 800, Insyde BIOS */
>         /* IBM 600E - _ADR should return 7, but it returns 1 */
>         "ASUS P2B-S"
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems gives other
> approaches to fixing ACPI bugs.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

On FC5 I had this same problem, but only after an upgrade to a 2.6.18 kernel.
Prior to that the original 2.6.15 kernel had shutdown completely, and that
one still does, but the two 2.6.17 kernels that were shutting down completely
stopped doing so when I booted the new 2.6.18 one.

I've just reinstalled a fresh instance of FC5, but find that synaptic no
longer lists the 2.6.17 kernels. I wanted to verify my suspicions of what's
going on here. Anyone any idea where I can find the 2.6.17 kernels?

I found that using acpi=force as a kernel parameter solved my problem since
the 2.6.18 kernels on FC5, but this did not work for Aaron. It's interesting
that lapic works for him, as it didn't for me.

My BIOS is set with ACPI enabled, and I have multiple distros running on this
machine. It's only FC5 with the 2.6.18 kernel that has produced this problem.

The latest kernel on the other distros is on Debian Etch, with a 2.6.17 one. I
saw a bugreport saying that there was a Debian shutdown problem, but not
saying with which kernel. 2.6.17 is the latest kernel on Etch, but I believe
that 2.6.18 ones are available for Sid (unstable). Someone had this shutdown
problem on the Debian list, so I sent them the fix from the bug report, which
fixed the shutdown problem for them.

I tried the same Debian fix on FC5 but it didn't work.

It's all quite confusing. To me this has occured since the 2.6.18 kernel, and
only on some hardware, otherwise we would be seeing numerous complaints about
this.

Anyway, I've fixed my problem on FC5 using acpi=force, and Aarons fixed his
problem using lapic, so we're all happy.

Nigel.