Re: ssh tunneling and "channel 2: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed"

On 1/23/07, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Mike - this is what I did already except replace "vnc" with
> "ssh" and "5900" with "22" in your description. It relies upon machine
> B allowing TCPforwarding, which seems not to be the case for my local
> setup. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

I've been following this thred as I was having the same problem (although only with tunneling a port between two machines).  I solved it by replacing the host name with the ip address in the ssh command, ie:

ssh  -R 8888:<ip address of C>:22 username@<ip address of B> cat -

instead of

ssh  -R 8888:C:22 username@B cat -

or whatever variation you think would be more successful.  This certainly doesn't make any sense to me, but with the hostnames in place, I was unable to connect and getting "channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused."  Hopefully you're having the same issue.

--
Dylan

Type faster.  Use Dvorak:
http://dvzine.org