Re: Measure system traffic -

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 12:11 -0600, Rick Sewill wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:19 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> >
> > My ISP Wildblue limits me to 5 gig's upload and 17 down over a thirty
> > day period. For the last nine months this has not been a problem,
> > however last month they made a system change and said they were
> > measuring usage more accurately.  Now we are running perilously close to
> > the limits for the last thirty days and I'm not certain why.
> >
> > We have four computers [FC6, Mac, and W2k] running on the wireless LAN
> > which appears as eth0 to my computer. The system is comprised of the
> > satellite receiver/modem, a Netgear wireless router, and some Linksys
> > wireless bridges and/or adapters.  Can someone tell me how I can track
> > usage and determine how much each user is consuming?
> >

> I do not have a good answer to this question, but I have suggestions.
>
> Each device should, hopefully, keep interface statistics.
>
> It might be possible to gather those statistics, periodically, using
> snmp, if the device allows snmp.
>
> Another possibility depends on your configuration.  Does all the traffic
> between you and the ISP Wildblue go through a router or bridge you
> control?  It is a long-shot, depending on what devices you have and what
> features they support, but, if the router or bridge you control, that is
> the point of connection with Wildblue, supports VLANs, you might be able
> to configure that device to have a VLAN for each of the devices on your
> LAN, and then gather statistics based on VLANs.

I am a dummy.  To have a separate VLAN for each device, you will need to
have a router that routes between the VLANs.  This setup is too complex
for a home user.  I apologize.

If you have an intelligent switch, you might be able to get statistics
for each port on the switch.  This suggestion does not involve VLANs.