Re: stange message while mounting ntfs (fc6)

Kevin Kofler a écrit :
François Patte <francois.patte <at> math-info.univ-paris5.fr> writes:

WARNING: Old FUSE kernel module detected. This means, some driver features
are not available (swap file on NTFS, boot from NTFS by LILO),
and unmount is not safe unless you make sure the ntfs-3g process
naturally terminates after calling 'umount'. The safe FUSE kernel
driver is included in the official Linux kernels since version
2.6.20-rc1, or in the FUSE 2.6 software package. Please see the

kernel is 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6 (not 2.6.20...!) fuse module is in use when I lsmod.

I don't understand the meaning of this message.

In short, it means ntfs-3g is way faster at development than any distro is at updating the kernel. (Fedora is already very quick there, go any faster and you get something like Rawhide. 2.6.20 hasn't even been released yet!)

<snip>

For now, just be careful with umount of ntfs partitions.
        Kevin Kofler

Thanks for your answer. What do you mean: "just be careful with umount of ntfs partitions"?

I added lines for mounting ntfs in fstab, so I do not manage mount and umount of these partitions; is there any danger to proceed like that?

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique