Re: Harddisk clicks -> System freezes/reboots

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 01:17 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> They recommended each machine have it's own line to reduce line noise,
> in the conduit.

Hmm, it's a crap power supply that doesn't act as an isolation point
between the mains supply and the rig.  Mains filtering should stop
interference getting in or out of the device.  The regulators should
also go some way to removing any incoming noise.

>  Proper grounding is essential.

I thought un-earthed equipment was still the norm in the US?

Just been going through these shenanigans with video production
equipment.  There's less earth loops if everything runs from the same
power point, but you still get some.  We've various devices with
transformer coupled inputs or outputs as the best way of not getting hum
loops.  And I've been re-engineering some equipment, so that we can
isolate mains earths from signal earths, selectively.  As well as
ensuring that there's *only* one earth point inside the chassis.

That sort of thing's all the more fun when you're linking together rooms
of equipment, or different buildings.

--
(Currently running FC4, in case that's important to the thread)

I read messages from the public lists.