Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Monday 22 January 2007 13:06, Stephen Smalley wrote:

[...]

>Sounds more like ccache sped up your build than anything selinux
>related.

Except that ccache has been in use since back about a week after I
installed FC6 from scratch, installed then as a solution to the long
build times of the kino cvs.  It was in use on FC2 before that, for about
a year.  (But that copy or /root/.ccache is on another separate drive.)
So it was active for the 2nd and 3rd builds too, in addition to building
all the 2.6.19-rcN tree as it became available.  And all of those builds
were 30 minutes or more.  With ccache running...

I guess it boils down to you can believe what you want, and I can do the
same.  When I get a 3x increase in *effective* compiler speed by dropping
selinux, then I think the conclusions I reach as a lifetime
troubleshooter & medium grade JOAT should be obvious.  I'm sorry it
doesn't appear that way to others.

Selinux is also on my FC5 lappy, but it didn't seem to 'get in my face'
near as badly as this FC6 version has done. Here, when its set for
permissive, and it generates 100k a day in the logs for my normal
activities, reading and replying to email, looking at manpages, working
on bash scripts, playing a few rounds of patience or editing a wedding
video in kino and harrassing the folks on ./ as well as these lists, it
just strikes me that something IS drasticly wrong, and I'm trying to fix
it.  I didn't build an XP2800 box with a gig of ram on a 333mhz fsb 3
years ago to have it run like a dosbox using floppies.  I'll build
another, a 64 bitter with maybe 4GB of ram next time, when linux has 64
bit supported as well as 32 bit is now.  In the meantime I don't intend
to support bloat if I can do away with it.

As someone said in a private email, this is MY checkbook, this is MY house
(its paid for too), this is MY truck (and I wrote a check for it) and
this is MY computer.  And that seems like a right attitude to me.

As for the JOAT reference, I'm headed out to go start stuffing about 120
feet of 4-0 cable in conduit and boxes to wire up a newer transmitter.
And I may be in my workshop running a milling machine before the night is
done, using emc2 to drive it because I might have to make a bender for
that size of cable, its sorta stiff and the box is small.  I can fix my
brakes, my engine or my automatic transmission and have many times in the
past.  My hands DO fit the tools.  And yes, they do indeed get dirty,
cut, & bruised.  It seems any little tap on the back of a hand give my
sugary self a bruise that takes weeks to heal.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)