Re: Disabling touchpad on laptop

On Monday 22 January 2007 08:06, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>On 22/01/07, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> >Is there a key programmed (in windows) to turn it off?  There is on
>> > my Acer, and it works equally well in linux.  The ancient Packard
>> > Bell doesn't have such a key, so I suffer as you do.
>> >
>> >Anne
>>
>> I'm using a "synaptics" utility, kills that bad puppy completely.  But
>> it puts an icon in the tray you can click on to re-enable it.  Using
>> an optical wireless mouse plugged into a usb port, the only time I
>> ever clicked on it was to see if it worked, it did.
>
>Thanks, Gene. How do I start synaptics? I've installed it, but I don't
>see anything in the menus nor in Kcontrol. Also, typing synaptics at
>the command line returns a command not found error.

I'm not sure Dotan.  Its not being started from /etc/init.d, nothing in
there.  Its an rpm for FC5, synaptics-0.14.4-2.1 according to an rpm -q
synaptics.

It installs itself into the kde control center, under
peripherals->touchpad so it can be controlled & configured from there
too.  There should be additional messages about it in the list archives,
I generated some of them at the time, most of a year ago IIRC.  And I
believe it must do a similar install on gnome too.

For kde, its icon is on the task bar just left of the clock when its
active.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)