Re: OCD programmers and backwards compatibility :-).

Todd Zullinger wrote:
The scenario I want to handle is being able to take some arbitrary,
probably used, scsi disk, plug it into a working system, and know
where to find it.  It may (in fact it's pretty likely) that this
disk is a dd image clone of another drive already in the system and
all of the drives are likely to be the same make/model.  I know from
the SCA hot-swap slot or the cable/drive select where all the drives
are.  I don't want the system to guess about it or confuse one with
the other.  And I especially don't want it to move all the other
drives around.

Do the entries in /dev/disk/by-{id,label,path,uuid} help you out with
that?

They might, if they were used in fstab and were consistent across time and
distributions, none of which is true. I'm currently running an assortment of
Centos3.x, Centos4.x, fedora, and a few others. By-path seems like the only
one that really relates very much to the position that I know and it looks like it might
move if any PCI card changes, not just a matching device controller.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx