Re: I have a corrupt FC6 rpmdb after a timed-out yum update; rpm --rebuilddb fails

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Amitakhya Phukan wrote:

Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
Hi;

  I have a corrupt FC6 rpmdb after a timed-out yum update;

  attempt to rebuild fails:

rpm --rebuilddb fails:

rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
error, run database recovery
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 -  (-30977)

How to repair the rpm db?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott

Hi !

I face the same problem sometimes. I do rm -rf /var/lib/rpm/__db*

after that yum update/install and then yum clean all

then the occurrence frequency of the above decreases.

the best way is pirut/pup i guess.

Actually this is a different problem.

There is a known bug where the rpm database gets locked and will not release.

The quick solution is to reboot the machine and the lock will release. I do not know how to get it to release "properly".

There is a bugzilla report on this, but it is too early in the morning for me to look it up.

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark