Re: other dvd players

On 21/01/07, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Christian Langer wrote:
> I notice on my fc6 machine there are mplayer, videolan, xine,
> kaffeine, and totem; only one, videolan is capable of playing a dvd;
> are there any others out there?

kaffeine (and likely some of the others) can/will play dvd's, but only
if you have the (nonfree) libdvdcss library/rpm installed.

Not _quite_ true: gstreamer based players such as totem can play dvds
if you install gstreamer-plugins-ugly (from livna or freshrpms).

The others (mplayer, xine, etc) can play unencrypted dvds if you
install libdvdread which is free. To play css encrypted dvds you need
to also install libdvdcss (non-free).

In practice, most commercial dvds are css encrypted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system

--
Mark Knoop