Re: Checking dependencies in packages selected for installation

Gene Heskett writes:

On Saturday 20 January 2007 12:57, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
[...]
After some Googling, it looks like I'll need to nuke /var/lib/__db* and
try the upgrade again.  Well, I'm checking these dependencies again,
for the next hour.  Here we go again.

Whoever decided to use Berkeley DB for RPM, many years ago, should be
smacked upside the head.  Hard.  BDB is garbage.  Stay away from it.

I have some very nice white ash in 10/4ths sizes. email me a design for the smacker and it will magicly appear.

Thanks, but I'm too busy today. Today, the simple FC 4 to FC 6 upgrade has so far grown into a 12 hour nightmare, because of this crap. I just finished wiping this server and doing a fresh FC 6 install. It's rpm database was not salvageable.

Seriously, there has to be a db engine less error prone than BDB.

It's not just BDB. rpm needs to go. How many times did something blew up in a middle of installing a huge upgrade, leaving you with hundreds of packages having both the old and the new versions of each package simultaneously installed?