Re: Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 17:36:01 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:

> If ISO space is an issue, why not go whole hog: Get rid of ISOs
> completely, and replace them with simple lists of rpms that are
> merely suggestions from the editors for different groups of
> packages that seem useful for different purposes.
>
> Then provide a tool that lets you build your own ISO from
> scratch with whatever rpms you want, starting with an editor
> suggestion, or some list of your own favorites. (Or build
> a live CD or live DVD from the same list so you can try it out
> first). [Note that jigdo is already a bit like this].

That'd be really really nice at least as an option, for people who already
know what they want. Sort of the way you configure a dell at dell.com
before you buy it. I bet this would actually reduce the downloads overall.
I, for one, never use open office so I won't download it to begin with.
Nor will I download some 40Mb of japanese fonts that at one point were a
dependency for tetex. And the list can go on and on. I would only build a
minimal list of packages I actually use. I like the no iso proposal,
provided I can create my own, if need be.