Re: DPMS for runlevel=3?

Tim:
>> Only if you explicitly switch over to run level three.  X is usually
>> running, automatically, in run level five.  But you can start and stop X
>> by hand, and remain in run level three.  You can use the telinit command
>> to switch levels, and it will start and stop X, as well, if the defaults
>> are left to run it on level five, and not to run it on level three.

Michael Klinosky:
> Oops! I neglected to mention that I use ctrl-alt-functionkey to switch
> (then c-a-F7 to switch back).

Which isn't stopping X, just ignoring it for the while.  X is still
running, even though you don't see it.

> Your response makes it sound like there are other ways to accomplish
> what I want. Actually, I *really* want to _turn off X_. Is there yet
> another way to do this (other than c-a-fk and telinit)?

You could kill the process, but then it might start up again.  Switching
away from run level five is probably the cleanest way of stopping X, if
you have it running all the time, but you may also start or stop other
services, depending on what's configured to start and stop on different
run levels.

> Note that I leave all my computers run (crunching on distributed
> processing projects); I use 5 (GUI), and want to turn off X when I'm
> not using the computer.

In the distant past I used to get lockups if X was left running for a
long time, but I don't any more.  I used to boot a web server up in run
level 3, and typing startx if I wanted to run X.  But I don't bother
about doing that anymore, I leave it in run level 5 all the time, now.

> Regarding telinit - do I have to be su to use it?

Yes.

I read messages from the public lists.