Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Saturday 20 January 2007 02:07, Les Mikesell wrote:
>David Boles wrote:
>> Why would you think that this is a NSA plot so that they can spy on
>> your computer? Why would you think that you and your computer is that
>> important?
>
>Why would they intercept most or all of the internet backbone?
>http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-6077353.html
>
>> How could you think that they have the time to do this? Or the
>> resources to do this?
>
>Absolutely - and we can't know otherwise because it is a state secret.
>
>--
>  Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx

Well, one thing that isn't a state secret as of right now around the
Heskett ranchette is that the 'fixfiles -F relabel' operation will screw
with your backups because (I assume) all the ctimes of all the files will
be updated.  I have a tapetype size set at about 9.5GB, and a normally
done backup, on a 5 day schedule will amount to about 5.5GB per nightly
run.  It tried to do the whole 27GB in one swell foop last night.  And
predictably ran out of 'tape' so there is about 3.3GB left in the holding
disk after the compression.  Amanda will autoflush that tomorrow night,
so its not a huge problem, but it sure will mess with the old girls
scheduling algorithms for the next few dumpcycles.

So the question then is: Is this unavoidable, or should I file a bz
against it?  The manpage doesn't mention anything in this regard.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)