Re: How to use a treo 650/680 as a modem?

Kevin Kempter wrote:
Hi List;

Can anyone help me figure out how to use my treo 680 as a modem?

I'm running FC5/KDE

I tried the instructions here:
http://fugutabetai.com/treo600_modem.html

I setup a new modem device in the network device config with the following
connection name: cingular
modem device : /dev/ttyUSB1
baud rate: 460800
flow control: software

phone no to call: #777
username: web
passwd: web

then I put the treo into tethered mode by dialing #*83843733
next I activated the above modem connection and I get this:

Failed to activate cingular with error 8

Thanks in advance

Can't mix Sprint and Cingular commands. :)

A Cingular /etc/wvdial.conf looks like:

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
SetVolume = 0
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM0
FlowControl = CRTSCTS
Stupid Mode = 1
New PPPD = yes

[Dialer cingular]
Username = isp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Password = CINGULAR1
Phone = *99***1#
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = AT&FE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+CGDCONT=1,"IP","isp.cingular"
Inherits = Modem0

Sprint looks like:

[Dialer sprint]
Username = moo
Password = foo
Phone = #777
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Inherits = Modem0

Quite a bit different!

After putting the phone in tethered mode, try:
# wvdial cingular

and watch the output. If it works, then use system-config-network to create/edit /etc/sysconf-network-scripts/ifcfg-cingular (or edit it by hand).

You may also need to add this line to ifcfg-cingular

PAPNAME=isp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is a complete listing for one we use here:

# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
# for the documentation of these parameters.
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=no
TYPE=Modem
DEVICE=ppp0
BOOTPROTO=dialup
AC=off
BSDCOMP=off
VJCCOMP=off
CCP=off
PC=off
VJ=off
LINESPEED=460800
MODEMPORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
PROVIDER=cingular
PAPNAME=isp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DEFROUTE=yes
PERSIST=yes
WVDIALSECT=cingular
MODEMNAME=Modem0
DEMAND=no
IPV6INIT=no
IDLETIMEOUT=600
DEBUG=yes

The new UTMS servers that Cingular are putting out break DHCP for all but Microsoft based systems. So we turn off PEERDNS and hard code /etc/resolv.conf to:

nameserver 66.102.163.231
nameserver 66.209.10.201

These are the Cingular primary DNS servers.

Good luck!