Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

John Bowden wrote:
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 16:07 -0800, Les wrote:
On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 23:55 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
If you guys really want to continue this silly ass thread I can create a

Personally I would like to see this discussion continue as when it
started I had a vague idea of what SElinux was. Now I know a lot more
and have even done a little googling about it. One thing that does
confuse me though, is If m$ has been getting advice from the NSA about
secure operating systems since 98 or so why is windows security so
bad ;-).

Simple.

They have so many things interlinked that depend on this minor DLL that has become critical that to control and monitor all of this is almost impossible.

Can you imagine the performance hit when you go to open a single application and a background security monitor has to check how many dlls and applications? I was trying to run some Windows software under wine yesterday and was surprised by the number of other applications that opened in the background and the application I was trying to run, still wouldn't run.

I read an article recently about being able to enable Firefox as your default browser on Windows XP and how an outside program can change your settings and call IE, even if it isn't your default browser. The problem was this happened to a witness in a Microsoft court case, luckily before he hit the stand.

Hopefully the NSA can convince MS to separate application from the OS under security.
--
Robin Laing