Re: changing from gdm to kdm. How?

On 1/19/07, oldman <talbotscott@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Kurt Wall wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 07:07:38AM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Rob wrote:
>>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> Can you tell me what is the preferred Fedora-method
>>> to switch from gdm to kdm?
>>>
>>> I'm using FC6.
>>>
>>> Rob.
>>>
>> I would remove gdm which if installed would default to kdm. The proper
>> way would be to change an entry in some file which specifies which
>> manager to use. It was discussed awhile back but I cannot recall where
>> this file is located.
>
> Don't know if this is the "preferred" method, but it has the desired
> effect (see /etc/X11/prefdm for the gory details):
>
> cat "DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE" > /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>
> Kurt
You probably want to change the redirection to >> to avoid wiping out
the Desktop specifier (assuming that you don't want to default to Gnome
so:

cat "DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE" >> /etc/sysconfig/desktop

Scott

Is this really your intention? Which do you want to change, desktop or
displaymanager?
If you want to just default to the KDE desktop you can do that at the
login screen: Click Session button and take your pick.

Edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and insert the line DESKTOP="KDE" (notice
KDE is in quotes) will make KDE desktop the default without the
removal of Gnome.  If you want both KDE desktop and displaymanager as
defaults then insert DESKTOP="KDE" and DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE into
/etc/sysconfig/desktop; e.g.

#cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE