Re: Beagle

On Thursday 18 January 2007 17:39, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jan 2007, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> This does not yet explain to me how to actually make it DO something
>>> for me.  Is the user front end broken for root?
>>
>> Without offering any specific answer regarding beagle, I'd argue that
>> nothing is broken is you're using the GUI as root.  What's broken is
>> that you're using the GUI as root.  If you do that you should expect a
>> lot of thing to not work and be prepared to live with them or fix them
>> by submitting patches upstream if the issues you find are things that
>> can be corrected without sacrificing the security of the package for
>> normal users.
>
>Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the beagle indexer will
>only run for the logged-in console user, and I suppose it's possible it
>doesn't run at all for root if not explicitly enabled.  The index is
>stored in the user's home directory.

You are saying in effect then, that it is disabled for root?  That seems
very counterproductive when its root that might have the most use of that
info.  I thi-ahh know, I need a whole handfull of aspirin before I could
justify that headache.  Its senseless, or nonsense to me.

If that's the case, is even the manpage disabled for root?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)