Re: FC 5 named service seems to "go away"

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007, Richard England wrote:

Thanks Bill.

I wondered about resolv.conf and here is what it says. Note that I have NetworkManager running:

 $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
 # generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!

 ; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager

 search myhome.westell.com

 nameserver 127.0.0.1

myhome.westell.com is the DSL modem/router . I was expecting to see nameserver 192.168.1.1

instead of 127.0.0.1, since that is how my FC6 machine is running, but I've not been able to determine where I should change the configuration so this occurs. Since NetworkManager is running changing resolve.conf directly fixes nothing since it changes it on the fly.

127.0.0.1 is the "loopback" address.  For any machine, it connects to that
machine itself.

Caching nameserver uses 127.0.0.1 so that DNS requests from your machine will use your own nameserver no matter what your LAN/WAN IP address is. Nice for laptops, which change IP addresses depending on where they are. Maybe slightly faster than the alternative (your LAN's nameserver or a remote one) in other contexts.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu