Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 11:50 -0600, Marc Schwartz wrote:
Snip

> And that is dedicating the entire 17 TFLOP system just to break _one_ key.
>

> The current concensus age of the universe in years:
>
>     1.37e+10
>

> Nuff said?
snip

No one has ever broken a crypto system by pure brute force, no matter
what you may think.  This is an argument put up by the uninitiated to
substantiate their belief that they are secure.  There are dozens of
different algorithms used, purmutations of how systems are broken and in
any event encryption is not just the XOR of a random stream with data
any longer (although that is used in some moderately secure systems).

Anyway, if you feel secure, good for you.  I, however, feel that we all
are vulnerable, and that each of us needs to make our own assessment.

My knowledge was hard won, and is valid.  Perhaps yours is just as valid
to you. I wish you all the best.  I hope that the people concerned do
their homework and help all of us attain the state you now enjoy.

Regards,
Les H