Re: Question for Gene Heskett about slow Firefox launch

On Tuesday 16 January 2007 11:58, John Wendel wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>In the thread "Re: How NSA access was built into Windows"
>

>I believe you will have to build a generic kernel.org kernel
>configured without that support, something I have underway right now,
>using 2.6.20-rc4.  I was amazed at the number of options I found
>turned on that a proper 'make oldconfig' should absolutely never have
>turned on.  My scripts take care of everything but grub.conf for a
>kernel install, so when its done all I should have to do is reboot
>since I'm already running 2.6.20-rc4.  Several things I found may even
>account for the apparent slowness of later kernels.  Things like 15
>seconds to launch firefox on an xp-2800 athlon with a gig of ram?
>

>Gene,
>
>Could you share some of these "Several things I found"? I'm having the
>same problem with slow firefox launching on a very similar system. I'm
>currently running vanilla kernel 2.6.19.2.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John

Basicly I did a make xconfig in the kernel tree I had already built and
was running, with an eye to getting rid of that which isn't of any
perceived usefullness to me.  If, as you go thru the xconfig screens item
by item, you read the help that pops into the lower right corner of the
window, and it says "if you don't know what this option does, you
probably don't need it, say N".  By the time I got down to the bottom
of 'block devices' I'll bet I'd turned off a hundred things that were
being built, and which had no earthly use to me, but the previous 'make
oldconfig' had enabled them.  With this newer compiler seemingly being as
slow as it it, that cut the build time by about 7 minutes, down to 24
IIRC, but I can recall building a kernel for this machine in under 8
minutes back in the mists of time.  And the system, once booted to it,
does seem a bit snappier at some operations.  I think I can probably cut
that much more the next time I have half an hour to work in an xconfig
window.

Firefox launch times?  Not a huge speedup there so far.  Sorry.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)