Re: vmware workstation is beating up my disk!

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>> > Anyone else running VMWare workstation in FC6 (x86)?  I've noticed
>> > that whenever vmware is running (WinXP), the disk is getting polled
>> > every other second non-stop.  it sounds like little men are marching
>> > around its so loud & annoying.  Its not a memory/swap thing as I've
>> > got 3GB of RAM, and vmware has access to a large chunk of it.
>>
>> What version of VMware Workstation are you running?
>
> 5.5.3

OK, I think I was also doing that prior to going to beta.

>> I had been running 5.5 on RHELv4 with XP as a guest without problems.
>> Now I
>> am running the Beta of Workstaion 6 without problems.
>>
>> In your preferences what do you have set for memory management?  Do
>> you have
>> shared folders enabled and tried disabling them?  Do you have many
>> snapshots?
>
> I've got 2 snapshots.  Shared folders are disabled already.  I'm not
> sure what you mean by memory management

On VMware preferences, not the guest preferences, there is a Memory tab and
you can choose to keep all of the guests in the host memory.  You need to
run VMware as root to change the settings.

>> Do you have only one guest XP?  If so, can you possibly build a new
>> one from
>> scratch as a test?
>
> yes, just one right now.  I suppose I could create another, although i
> don't really have the time for that immediately.

You may also wish to clone the earliest snapshot you have and try running
that as a quick alternative.

--
I know how to do SPECIAL EFFECTS!!