Re: How NSA access was built into Windows

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 09:43 -0500, Temlakos wrote:

> Bear the date in mind. This happened during the administration of
> William J. Clinton, not George W. Bush. At the time, President Clinton
> had no reason (at least none that he personally would believe) to
> suppose that anyone would succeed him except his Vice President, Albert
> A. Gore. Clinton had a penchant for monitoring people, too--his domestic
> opponents. If George W. Bush is monitoring anyone, then it would be
> those whom the government suspects of planning to blow something up with
> people in or on it, sicken an entire city or two with anthrax (or West
> Nile encephalitis), /et cetera/.
>
> So when you think of "who the present administration is," do not imagine
> it to be any worse than would be an administration belonging to the
> other party.
----
As an American, I actually agree with this to a point - and that point
is I am not so convinced that any single person elected president in the
US is strong enough or knowledgeable enough or will ever know enough to
stop or prevent this. While I believe that the present administration is
all too eager to trounce on our rights in the name of security, I
believe it is only to a greater degree than others who have occupied the
position before and perhaps to a lesser degree than others who heaven
forbid, could occupy the position in the future. A discussion of how
this relates to the current political leadership though is hardly
meaningful to this list. The constitutional intent is to provide for a
series of checks and balances to protect us and thus, it is not just the
president but the judicial and legislative branches are constitutionally
charged with preventing this from getting out out of hand.

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/01/09/nsa-provided-security-help-for-windows-mac-os-x/

And it sure appears that the NSA is dipping their toes in all of the
waters, hopefully for the right reasons because if it were to be
revealed that they were putting back doors in software, the blowback[1]
would be devastating to the NSA and the US Government.

Craig

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowback_%28intelligence%29