Re: Certain screensavers lock my machine up

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Running FC6 x86_64, updated today.  Running the drivers from the
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9746-pkg2.run script (I prefer my own drivers to
> a repos) on a GeForce 6200 LE card.
> > I added xscreensaver-gl-extras-gss-5.01-5.fc6,
> xscreensaver-gl-extras-5.01-5.fc6, xscreensaver-extras-5.01-5.fc6 and
> xscreensaver-extras-gss-5.01-5.fc6 to my system.
> > I noticed that when I set it to display random screensavers, my machine
> locks up periodically.
> > Still trying to figure out which one(s) do it, but I wondered if anyone
> else is seeing this?

Ran into the same problem.  Stability returned when I got rid of xscreensaver-gl-extras.  I had the same result with both the Nvidia binary driver and the nv x.org driver.  I didn't try the gss packages but you could pull everything EXCEPT the standard xscreensaver package and then add the others back in one at a time to see if any of them destabilize the system.  At least on my box X crashing took the keyboard with it so I could only recover by sshing in and rebooting.

Too bad.  Some nice eye-candy in the 3d stuff.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce