Re: plugin help

On Sunday 14 January 2007 19:50, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> Hello.
> I'd like to config my machine to play mpegs and video files.
>
> I began with mpegs. I checked a few Fedora websites, and found some info
> on fedorafaq.org. It states that issuing "yum install
> gstreamer-plugins-ugly" will do the trick. However, the repository
> responded with:
> Parsing package install arguments
> No Match for argument: gstreamer-plugins-ugly
> Nothing to do

There are many packages that are not on the Fedora repo's, usually due to
licencing issues, etc. You will need to use a third party repo, such as
Livna, or Freshrpms to get the package you require.

You do not say which FC version you are using, but I presume FC5, or 6.

For Freshrpms, and for FC5 the site address is:
http://bordeaux.freshrpms.net
For FC6
http://zod.freshrpms.net

The Livna repo is at:
http://rpm.livna.org/

You will have to install the gpg keys for these repos, but info is on the
sites, and will have to setup the URL's to access the repos, in I
think /etc/yum.conf , but there are shortcuts on the sites to save you
manually typing in the URL's.

All the best, and you might find installing Mplayer, and Mplayerplugin from
Livna might fix a lot of your problems.

Nigel.