How to configure sendmail to send messages

Dear list,

   I have a problem sending messages from command line
in two of my machines.  I believe I have sendmail
installed but do not know how to test if it is there?
I want to update a machine on linux counter but mail
does now work, and I get a dead.letter on my home
directory.  I have tried doing the following, but to
no avail

[olivares@localhost Documents]$ /bin/mail -s "test
mail" olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx

Test message please disregard.

.
Cc:
[olivares@localhost Documents]$
/home/olivares/dead.letter... Saved message in
/home/olivares/dead.letter

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Antonio