Re: Resizing of a LVM partition

On 14/01/07, Ambrogio <fn050202@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Il giorno gio, 11/01/2007 alle 21.04 +0100, Markus Lindholm ha scritto:
> A question: if I had used pvcreate on the whole disk in the first
> place could I now have used pvresize to take the free space into use
> without creating a new partition?
No,
because using pvcreate on the wole disk doesn't leave free space on
disk.
The only way in which pvresize is usefull is when you do, for example, a
dd of the entire disk to a bigger one.

Yes, but the situation I had was a HARDWARE RAID 5 to which I just had
added two disks (totalling six disks), so the disk presented by the
RAID controller to the OS had actually grown in size.

So if I had used pvcreate on the whole disk instead of a partition
containing the whole disk (at that time) when I setup the RAID5, then
I could have now used pvresize to take the added size in use.

Well, that's at least how I understand it, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

/markus