Re: vmware guest crash spinlock lockup - bugzilla-able ?

Gilboa Davara wrote:
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 23:40 +1100, David Timms wrote:
Today I have found that pc2-vm1 and pc2-vm2 have crashed.

Message left on pc2:vm2 screen summary:
  worker_thread
  kthread
  kthread
  kernel_thread
=====
BUG: spinlock lockup on CPU#0, modprobe/13636  (Not tainted)
  dump_trace
  show_trace_log_lvl
  show_trace
  dump_stack
  _raw_spin_lock
  cache_alloc_refill
  kmem_cache_alloc
  get_empty_filp
  __path_lookup_open
  open_name
  do_filp_open
  do_sys_open
  sys_open
  syscall_call
DWARF2 unwinder stuck at syscall_call
Leftover inexact backtrace:
=====

Is this an issue that needs to be fixed/reported to bugzilla.redhat ?
Or is there another bug report location that would be best.

In general, if you didn't enable the vmware services (and as a result,
you guest's kernel is not tainted), yes.
The lock itself seems to be vmware-free.
Gilboa: Do you mean if vmware-tools is installed on the vmware guest, then it would be tainted ? I haven't installed any extra bits in the guest.

The vmware-server service on the physical machine definitely has the vmmon and vmnet compiled as modules {=tainted}, but in terms of the hang, is it indicative of an issue within the guest vm, or could it be in the vmware-server software, or host machine that it is running on ?

DaveT.