Re: Sendmail Vacation and forward files

Anne Wilson schrieb:

On Saturday 13 January 2007 18:34, Johan Boshoff wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to set up a vacation notice for some users on my Fedora 4
system using sendmail.  I have never done this yet and I am not getting it
right.  Can anyone please point me in a direction?  Any documetns etc will
be welcome.

I was wondering how to automatically create a .forward file and a .vacation
file.

Hi, Johan. I set a vacation reply in procmail based on an example I found on the Internet somewhere. This is what it said:

# :0 h c
# * !^FROM_DAEMON
# * !^X-Loop: me@xxxxxxxxxxxx
# | (formail -r -I"Precedence: junk" \
#     -A"X-Loop: me@xxxxxxxxxxxx" ; \
#    echo "This is the autoresponder at myCompanyName \
# Your message will be received on the 3rd May, on our return from holiday \
#    Thank you for your patience.") | $SENDMAIL -t

HTH

Anne
Independent from this implementation it has to be said as a warning that running autoresponders you will hit innocent third mail addresses which are faked by spammers.

Above procmail implementation isn't useful as it will reply each time a sender writes a mail. The vacation application would store sender addresses and repeats the automatic reply only once in 30 days.

Johan can get the vacation as a src.rpm from my site: http://www.uni-x.org/vacation-1.2.6.1-3.ad.src.rpm

Usage is explained in the manpage.

Besides the vacation topic: Johan, update your FC4 as it is EOL and even fedoralegacy stopped to security support that release. It is not safe to run a public reachable mailserver on it.

Alexander