Re: Preparing FC6 on ASUS A8N-VM CSM with nVidia chipset

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 17:05:09 PM +0000, Ian Malone
(ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> It may be worth disabling rhgb to avoid a disappearing mouse pointer
> bug (which aflicts both nv and nvidia drivers) alternatively adjust
> xorg.conf to use a software mouse pointer).

I have found both how to disable rhgb (http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc3/,
question 4): how would I adjust xorg.conf to use the sw pointer?

Besides that, is there any advantage in one solution over the other?

> I do use the ethernet controller with a n430 chipset, but not on
> x86_64. As far as installing 32 bit FC6 goes it was straightforward,

you mean that it is recognized and usable without passing special
parameters and/or having extra drivers ready on a floppy, right?

> but I haven't tried 64bit.

> The nvidia driver is needed for dual head support, a 64bit
> version can be found in the usual repos.

Just to be 100% sure: you mean that the procedure at
http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc3/#nvidia is still all you need to do right
after installing FC6 x86_64 from the DVDs, right? Without first
upgrading the kernel or doing anything else?

Sorry for being so picky and paranoid, but I really want to have
everything set straight before I do the install, and make it succeed
the first time (otherwise, for personal and work reasons, I may have
no time to re-do it again for weeks :-( )

The ethernet driver is what "worries" me the most, since if that
doesn't work immediately I wouldn't be able to download anything else.

Thanks again,
	Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73