Re: FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

On Friday 12 January 2007 03:03, Jim Cornette wrote:

> It is strange that it does not work for certain platforms. I guess you
> might file a bug report for the problem mentioning the SMP kernel. I
> thought FC5 had a seperate uni version and an smp version. Maybe it was
> considered safe to compile the uni version with smp enabled for the
> later kernel versions.
>
> Since FC5 came with a uni version which had no smp enabled originally,
> you might try installing the original version for testing from FC5 using
> rpm -Ivh --oldpackage <kernel-version.rpm>
> and reboot into this kernel to see if this older version will shut down
> properly.
>
> After that, you might have hope for FC5 but will need the problem Kam
> mentions getting resolved with the one SMP enabled kernel version.
>
> The only other option probably would be to compile a custom kernel and
> turn off SMP support in the configuration. Either that or there might be
> yet another need for a kernel switch like nosmp as a kernel parameter.
>
> Jim

How do I find out if the kernels installed are the type that Kam refers to?
According to synaptic the six kernels I have installed are:
2.6.15-1.2054_FC5   (this one shutsdown completely)
2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
2.6.18-1.2200_FC5
2.6.18-1.2239_FC5
and
2.6.18-1.2257_FC5

There are also 3 specific SMP kernels on synaptic.

kernel-smp#2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
kernel-smp#2.6.18-1.2239_FC5
and
kernel-smp#2.6.18-1.2257_FC5

I dont have any of the smp ones installed, as I only have a single processor.

None of the ones on the first list would shutdown completely as of recently,
apart from kernel 2.6.15, (which was the original one from the install
cdroms) . The others were shutting down completely, until some, as of yet
illusive upgraded package that appears to have changed the behaviour of how
later kernels than 2.6.15 deal with acpi.

Tims suggestion to use acpi=force has worked for me on FC5, but has not solved
Aarons problems on FC6.

I said on my reply to Aaron, I'm going to do a fresh install of FC5 over one
of my FC3 installs, on the same machine with the problems. I will install all
the kernels that are on the existing FC5 on this machine, then do the updates
a few at a time. Hopefully I have most of the updates
in /var/cache/apt/archives amongst the 3 installs I have of FC5 at present.
If I can avoid hours of dialup downloading of updates it will put me in a
better frame of mind, but am determined to find out which of these darned
packages has messed with acpi.

I'll be back, maybe admitting that I'm defeated, but I'll be back.

Nigel.

Nigel