X damaged, kde comes up but cant type into terminal

Jack Byers     byersj@xxxxxxxxxxx
X damaged,  kde comes up but cant type into terminal

seems to come up normally upon using startx (my usual procedure)
But have complete inability to type in x terminal
zero response,  reminiscent of ctl-Q, ctl-S  but i get no response

cant type anything into firefox location window,....
cant type anything into   run command menu

i can click on items from the f panel ,
and bring up more terminals but none work

cant even use ctl alt bspace tokill X
cant use ctl alt del to reboot
i can get out of x by logging off
when i do the console has some msgs
X-Error  Bad Window (invalid Window...

if i run startx as root, it comes up ok (altho i think w a gnome terminal....)
ie i can type into terminal

i am up now and writing this email
in an older clone of my main fc5, a copy i made a few months agoand it works normally, so i could use this fc5 to try and repair my main fc5 if i had a clue...

I would really like to rescue my main fc5 -- i have a couple of vmplayer vms (quantian, kubuntu)
that i would hate to lose.

[byers@bootp ~]$ uname -a
Linux bootp 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 #1 Tue Aug 8 15:30:55 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
same kernel as on my damaged X  fc5

any suggestions,  somehow purge all of X, reinstall X ?
Jack

From photos to predictions, The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes has
it all. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline1