Re: FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

On Thursday 11 January 2007 19:24, pds wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:08:48 +0100
>
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 January 2007 14:53, pds wrote:
> > > My experience is that SuSe doesn't have a problem shutting down.
> > > At least FC5 & FC6 have a problem shutting down once I log in KDE or
> > > GNOME.  If I don't log in or only use a console then power off
> > > works. I had seen somewhere on the list and a bug that dbus is a
> > > culprit.
> > >
> > > -pete
> >
> > Hi Pete. Tried that after your post. First booted up as far as GDM,
> > then shutdown, but machine still refused to shutdown completely. Next
> > booted up to init3, logged in as user, then used "halt" to shut down,
> > but still no joy.
>
> halt should only halt the machine, try it with 'poweroff'.  I expect
> that you will still have problems....
> -pete

Correctomundo. Booting up into init3, logging in, then trying to shutdown
completely using "poweroff" just stalls at "Power down".

The last 7 entries from the shutdown messages are.

Unmounting file systems:                             OK
Halting system...
md: stopping all md devices.
md: md0 switched to read-only mode.
Shutdown: hdb
Shutdown: hda
Power down.

This is probably no surprise as the acpid isn't running.

Shutdown with the 2.6.15 kernel runs to completion, but the stuff scrolls past
so fast, and no log is kept of it, so can't say what it says. It certainly
mentions "ACPI", but what else I'm not sure of.

Nigel.