Re: USB disks don't mount in runlevel 3

Steve Friedman wrote:

We normally run in runlevel 3 and when we do use X, we usually use fvwm (rather than gnome or kde).

Against what system part do I file a bug in bugzilla regarding the condition that an inserted USB drive will be auto-mounted in /media when using the gnome window manager, but not in fvwm or when X isn't started. Presumably, by inserting the USB drive I want the device mounted, so why is (I presume hal) just sending an event notification on the dbus rather than completing the task itself?

Steve Friedman

Check the Feb 2007 Issue of Linux Journal to learn the magic incantation that will make UDEV do this for you.

Regards,

John Wendel