Re: FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 22:43, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 22:13 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Both myself, and Aaron Konstram are having problems with the complete
> > shutdown of our machines. I am running FC5, and since some updates to
> > FC5, kernels later than the original kernel installed from the CDROM
> > refuse to shutdown cmpletely. The shutdown messages reach "power off"
> > then nothing, and you have to press, and hold the start button on the PC
> > to switch the machine off. When shutdown reaches the power off stage, I
> > hear the harddrives spin down, but the machine is still active.
> >
> > these ar the kernels on my FC5:
> > 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5  (this one shutsdown ok)
> > but all of these refuse to shutdown completely:
> > 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5
> > 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
> > 2.6.18-1.2200_FC5
> > 2.6.18-1.2239_FC5
> > and
> > 2.6.18-1.2257_FC5
> >
> > I have been googling, and found suggestions to use "lapic" . I'm not sure
> > how to use it. I tried at the grub prompt for the kernel, using "lapic",
> > or lapic=on" (without the double quotes) , but no success.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestion how to use lapic, or even if this might solve
> > the problem?
>
> All you need to do is append "lapic" to the kernel line in grub:
>
>  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
>  quiet lapic
>
> (all on one line).  That may not solve your issue.  You may need to use
> "noapic" instead:
>
>  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
>  quiet noapic
>
> (again, all on one line) to turn off your APIC.  It really rather
> depends on just how compliant your BIOS is with the APM or ACPI
> specifications.  It always stuns me just how badly some of these
> standards are implemented.  Do they even read the specs?  This ain't
> rocket science (and yes, I was a rocket scientist at JPL).  Sheesh!

Rick. I appreciate your help here, but this is a no-go situation.

I have put lapic to the latest kernel in grub, and noapic to the earlier
kernel. Neither will shutdown completely, but the original kernel will
shutdown completely.

KDE's services for the original kernel, shows "Status" acpid (pid xxxx) is
running.  for later kernels there is notjhing in the status window. If I
start acpid for a later kernel, it says it's started, but still nothing in
the status window, so it's taking the piss.

On my other macine I also have 2 FC5 installs. These didn't have the updates
that seem to have caused this problem, so I copied the contents
of /var/cache/apt/archives across to the other machine (I'm on dialup and
didn't want hours of downloading updates) then did the upgrades a few at a
time. I shutdown and rebooted frequently so as to see whether there were any
problems. No such problem on this machine, admittadly with a different BIOS.
Whichever kernel I boot from, when I shutdown, the machine shutsdown
completely.

Going back to the other machine with the problem. here I have FC1.2.3.4, and
5 . Plus Debian Sarge, and Debian Etch, Gentoo, and Slackware 10.0. None of
these has any shutdown problems on this machine, whichever kernel I am booted
from except FC5 on kernels later than 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5, and only problems on
FC5 after some updates, and it's virtually impossible to find which updates
have caused the problem.

Surely someone must know whats going on here.

Nigel.