Re: daylight savings time change

William Hooper wrote:

Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 09:12 -0500, Gene Poole wrote:

To maintain platform independence Java does not acquire the date time
from the OS, but does it's own calculations.
I presume you don't mean the JRE.  I've never seen any way that you
could tell it to use a particular timezone, so it must be able to tell what
your local one is by itself.

Unfortunately the JRE is also affected.  From the horses mouth:

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/tzupdatertool.html

"The Java Runtime Environment (JRE) stores rules about DST observance all
around the globe. Older JREs will have outdated rules that will be
superseded by the Energy Policy Act of 2005. As a result, applications
running on an older JRE may report incorrect time from March 11, 2007
through April 2, 2007 and from October 29, 2007 through November 4, 2007."

"You can download any of the following Java platform versions to resolve
this DST issue:

   * JDK 6 Project (beta)
   * J2SE 5.0 Update 6 or later
   * J2SE 1.4.2_11 or later
   * J2SE 1.3.1_18 or later"

The current J2SE5 update is 10. I found that out when I went to grab a proper source file for Java, per the JPackage method.

Sadly, JPackage does not have a "nosrc.rpm" for J2SE6.

Temlakos