Re: Mounting NTFS

On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 22:52 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> John Bowden wrote:
>
> >> You might add something like 'ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/xp' to rc.local and
> >> it should be ready to go when the computer is ready after boot. I do
> >> this for 'yum -y update' on a computer that I setup for novice computer
> >> users and it works for that situation. ntfs-3g should work from the
> >> script also.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >> --
> >> The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
> >>
> > I got that command to work after changing the "sda1" to hda1. I have
> > also added it to my rc.local file and did a reboot. I can now see my
> > ntfs partition. Now I can archive all the stuff in my "downloads"
> > directory and shrink the ntfs partition down to give my FC6 partition
> > more room.Thanks all for your help. Now to find out why my Psion wont
> > communicate with FC6
> >

> Also, some better advice was passed on regarding how to add the entry
> within the /etc/fstab file and have it mounted as other partitions are
> mounted. I did not read the documentation and was supposing that since
> ntfs-3g was acting like a program to mount the filesystem instead of the
> example giving a reference to an entry, it was outside a regular
> mechanism to mount filesystems.
> Adding the entry to rc.local is an option that I'd do and it works. It
> is good to read up on more normal methods as included in the link below.
> At least I learned from your question also that you can add the mount to
> /etc/fstab.
>
> http://www.ntfs-3g.org/index.html#usage
>

> As below excerpt from link:
>
> Please see the ntfs-3g manual page for more options and examples. You
> can also make NTFS to be mounted during boot by adding the following
> line to the end of the /etc/fstab file:
>
>      /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
>

> Jim
>

> --
> It occurred to me lately that nothing has occurred to me lately.

I will leave the line in my rc.local file for now as it seems to be
working and I can free up some space on the ntfs partition. in a week or
two I will have a go at my fstab file. This install of FC6 was a look
and tinker install. I,m almost ready to start using FC6 for most of my
day to day pc use. There is only two things stopping me from dumping m$
permanently and they are:
1, Playing Command & Conquer Generals Zero hour!
2,the voip software only has a windoz version and I have 2 1/2 months of
credit left on it to go. Its one of the cheapest voip services around
that I have found so far. Free international land line phone calls. I
have a 250Gb hard drive in this box. About 80Gb for FC6 the rest for
windoz. I plan to shrink the ntfs partition down to about 20/30 Gb just
to run Generals on from time to time.