Re: Mounting NTFS

Schlaegel wrote:
On 1/9/07, Jeffrey Burns <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Also, if you don't need write access, you might want to grab kmod-ntfs
from livna.org.

And a question for the list - if ntfs-3g meets the requirements for
inclusion in Extras, what disqualifies kmod-ntfs?

Now that there is ntfs-3g, I wonder why anyone chooses to install the
crippled kernel module kmod-ntfs. If you want read only access, then
just mount using ntfs-3g with only read access.

My question is why Fedora does not ship with ntfs-3g out of the box.
Most dual boot scenarios will benefit from its usage and most new
Fedora users will have an existing NTFS partition.

I also believe there was some worry about including it in the distro in the same vein as including java in previous versions. Licensing, or some such thing.

--
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator