Re: I might be ready to give up...

Ric Moore wrote:
On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 13:43 -0500, Hal Levy wrote:
Since I had done nothing of interest with my FC6 install- I have
decided to start again, as my tinkering seems to have made things
worse.

I have a fresh install runing right now.

I would like to know how to boot to comand line, however. I'd like to
run the YUM update without X the first time.

I usually just hit any key to get into the grub menu and then press the a key for the append mode. Pressing a will show the kernel parameters line where you can backspace out rhgb quiet and then press a spacebar and then the letter 1 for single user mode. Runlevel 1 does not have the network started so you need to start the network with 'service network start' I'm not sure if the firewall is started in runlevel 1 so probably putting in a 3 instead of a 1 would be safer. I'll have to check that on my next drop to single user mode. For runlevel 3, your network should be started and also the firewall. You shouldn't have to start anything out of the ordinary.

As you said though, running yum from within the GUI is chancy for the first run through and deadly with yum upgrades from one release to the next.

You probably already upgraded the system so other methods were probably already used.

Jim
--
Turn right here. No! NO! The OTHER right!